In any given day there are an estimated 20,000 children in New Zealand with at
least one parent in prison, yet despite these staggering numbers they are largely
The charity's vision
To provide support to the children of prisoners in New Zealand, helping them cope with parental imprisonment, and reducing the rate of intergenerational offending.
The charity's mission
To provide efficient and effective best-practice services to the children of prisoners and their families/whanau in New Zealand by:
- providing nationwide telephone and online counselling and support;
- direct personal services in Christchurch, Auckland and other centres where they can be adequately resourced and managed;
- the preparation and distribution of relevant written and electronic information to them; and
- creating awareness of their needs and advocating on behalf of them to government, local bodies, schools, prisons, community groups and any other relevant person or organisations; and
- conducting research and information gathering that ensures an up-to-date picture of the issues surrounding them to support the above services.
PILLARS is a registered charity under the Charities Act 2005, Registration Number: CC23953, and all donations to the charity over $5 qualify for a tax credit.